I hope your Memorial Day weekend was a blast! Considering that we are entering a busy travel season with summer vacation and the airlines are charging us on average $20 for each checked bag, I decided to write a post on how to pack light. I only carry one carry-on bag and my handbag. Use these luxe travel tips to avoid lost luggage, stress, fees, and drama.
1. Multiple use outfits. Instead of packing 5-10 outfits for a week vacation, pack 3-4 outfits that are interchangeable. For a week vacation my suitcase will contain: 1 pair of quality super hot jeans; a tunic that can double as a dress or a shirt; 1 pair of flowing slacks or shorts (depending on the weather); 3 blouses/shirts, and 1 hot dress. Now, I can create 3-4 outfits by pairing the jeans and slacks with the shirts. The tunic can serve as a dress and if I need another dress I have an extra. Now I have 6 outfits! Plus, if I am going on a beach vacation, I pack only two swimsuits: a bikini and a one piece.
2. Shoes. My general rule is to only pack two pair of shoes when traveling. So if it is summer, one pair of high heeled strappy sandals and a pair of flat sandals. I have the cutest jeweled gold flat sandals that I adore and they complement just about any outfit. Or if I am traveling in the winter, I pack one pair of boots, and one pair of pumps or flats. In addition, I always travel in comfortable shoes that serve as my third pair. Usually flats, flip flops, or cute sneakers are good choices.
3. Minimize beauty products and toiletries. Currently, all air travelers can only travel with liquids that are 3 oz or less. But regardless if you are traveling by air, car, or train, minimizing your beauty products saves a LOT of space in your suitcase. I pack travel size toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, and DOVE facial cleansing clothes. Love Dove! They clean but also moisturize! You can purchase these travel size items at any Target, Wal-Mart, or CVS for only 99 cents each. I also pack my favorite cleanser, toner, moisturizer, lotion or other liquid product in these neat containers. You can purchase these bottles at The Container Store for only $1.49! Can’t beat it! Lastly, place all toiletries and beauty products in a Zip Loc freezer bag. The airlines require it plus all of your items will be in one organized place.
4. Accessories. Accessories are essential items for ANY vacay! Pack necklaces, bangles, earrings, and rings in a jewelry portfolio. This Citta Jewelry Portfolio is perfect. It has compartments for all of your accessories and it folds into a neat wallet. My rule regarding accessories is to only take accessories that complement all of my outfits. And everything must fit into the portfolio. If not, I have to rethink which pieces are essential.
5. Make-up. Try not to bring your entire make-up collection when traveling. LOL! When traveling, I purposely use a small make-up bag that fits inside my purse. The make-up bag contains mascara, eye cream, foundation stick, two lip glosses, two eye shadows (light and dark), brushes, and the Multiple by Nars. (See my post below on Multi-functional make-up)
6. Miscellaneous essentials. I always pack a travel size umbrella, one pair of hose, one pair of socks, and a travel size emergency kit. This kit includes double-sided tape, needle, thread, safety pins, and bobby pins. I create this kit myself. I place the items in my emergency kit in an old jewelry pouch. Now the emergency kit can fit inside my purse.
7. Organize your suitcase. To create maximum space, I don’t fold my clothes, I roll them like a spa towel. This is a great technique for creating space. I place the bottoms on one side of the suitcase and the tops on the other side. I place the shoes in the middle. Lastly, I feel any gaps with swimsuits, lingerie, hose, socks, etc. I promise you it works like a charm every time.
I just wanted to let you fab people know about a contest to win this amazing new mascara. Spinlash is a mascara that has a brush that rotates 360 degrees. Talking about va va voom lashes! Sound interesting? If so, click here to check out the product and win it for free!
I just wanted to let you fab people know about a contest to win this amazing new mascara. Spinlash is a mascara that has a brush that rotates 360 degrees. Talking about va va voom lashes! Sound interesting? If so, enter here to check out the product and win it for free!
I am currently obsessed with make-up that is multi-functional, i.e, one product serves several purposes. Now that I am carrying a diaper bag that has also become my purse, I try to minimize the amount of “stuff” I carry in my bag. So, this is why I am currently obsessed with Nars, The Multiple, in Palm Beach. You can use The Multiple on eyes, cheeks, and lips! As a busy mom on the go, The Multiple is perfect. I use it with mascara and my MAC lip liner, and I achieve Glam status in an instant! In addition, the Palm Beach color is great for my skin tone. It is a bronze color with a hint of peach! The Multiple comes in several shades, so whatever your skin tone there is definitely a color that will fit you! You can purchase The Multiple at Sephora or Sephora.com
Now if you don’t want to spend $37.00 for this product, which by the way I think is so worth it, you can achieve the same results with Loreal’s HIP Illuminating Highlighter in Shimmer. Love Love this product! It comes in a lighter and darker bronze shade. I use the lighter shade as an eyeshadow and the darker shade on my cheeks and lips. And for only $9.00 you can’t go wrong. You can purchase this highlighter at any drugstore or here.
I have been wearing a new scent that I am just in LOVE with. L, a LAMB (Love, Angel, Music, Baby) frangrance by Gwen Stefani is amazing! It has a citrus scent with a hint of musk. It is flirty but so downright sexy! It is not too heavy and not too sweet. It is perfect. It is a great summer fragrance! I usually do not advocate celebrity frangrances and I am a Chanel girl through and through, but L is definitely worth a try. And as an added bonus, the packing is just divine! You can purchase it here or at Sephora or Sephora.com
I hope your life is just fab! A girlfriend of mine, who is a fab person, mom, educator and woman extraordinaire, had the following question:
When I go out to run errands, usually I wear sweats and sneakers. What can I do to enhance this outfit so that I don’t feel so frumpy?
1. My first suggestion is to accesorize, accesorize, accesorize. A great handbag and funky earrings or bracelets can dress up any outfit. I always notice a great bag regardless of what a woman may have on. If I am wearing sneakers and sweats, I always wear my fab dangling gold earrings. I instantly feel cute and my outfit looks different.
2. Wear a cute graphic or form fitting tee with jeans or sweats. Instead of wearing the standard large tee that hangs off of your body, with jeans or sweats, wear a cute tee. Target has tons of cool graphic tees and Mossimo form fitting tees that range in price from $6.99 to $9.99. What a great deal! I have the cutest Sesame Street soft tee I purchased at Target for $7 that I wear with jeans when running errands. This tee with sweats, my gold earrings, and staple bag are instant mood boosters!
3. Wear cute shoes. When wearing sweats, I prefer to wear sneakers or Uggs. However, I have seen women wearing flip flops with sweats (with manicured toes of course) and I thought it was cute. But if you have on jeans, I suggest wearing flip flops, (summer or spring) or cute flats (fall or winter). Target has the cutest designer flats in black, gold, silver, and other colors for only $14.99. Check it out here at Target.com.
3. Wear some make-up. Of course I LOOOVE make-up! When I leave the house I at least wear lip gloss. Sometimes when running a quick errand, we don’t think make-up is necessary. However, a little lip gloss and maybe a touch of bronzer or blush and you will instantly have a glow. People will wonder about your radiant look and you will feel truly fabulous!
Remember Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 11th and I found some really cool gifts ideas that are a steal! Check them out and Happy Mother’s Day!
Pouchee Purse Organizer. Ooooh I love this organizer. This organizer was created for the woman who changes bags frequently. Isn’t that every fashionista? We have all had this problem, we change bags but somehow forget essential items in the recently used bags, i.e., favorite lip gloss, wallet, keys. This organizer holds all of your essential items and you simply drop it in your bag with each bag change. The bonus is that these organizers come in tons of cool funky colors and designs. Champagne Taste, a handbag and accessory boutique located in East Atlanta, is offering a sweet Mother’s Day deal on Pouchee Organizers..buy one and get the second half off. The organizers sell for only $28.00 for leather and $25.00 for cloth. You can buy an organizer for yourself, mom, sister, aunt, etc. Grab them while supplies last!
Two dozen roses at Whole Foods. Whole Foods is selling two dozen roses for only $17.99 They sell them in several cute colors like yellow, pink, red, peach, purple….They will also wrap them in VERY NICE floral paper, baby’s breath, and a satin ribbon for free! Visit your nearest Whole Foods for this awesome deal.
Clinique’s Perfectly Happy Duo Clinique has created a very cool and pretty fragrance/lip gloss combo with this set. This set includes two dual-ended Clinique Happy Perfume Rollerball/Full Potential Lips Plump and Shine in Peach Plump and Pink Champagne in an orange floral box. 0.15 oz. each. This set is only $25.00. You can purchase it at Nordstrom or Sephora.
I love summer and oh how I love a great blush! I love blushes that give your face a healthy glow with a little hint of color. Boy a good blush can light up any girl’s face. My new favorite blush is Nars Blush in Luster. It is a pretty sheer gold apricot color that looks great on all skin tones. It really gives me a sun kissed glow with a hint of peach color. I love it!
Ladies you can’t go wrong with any Nars product. The colors are amazing and they last! It is definitely $25 well spent.
I hope your day is absolutely fab! I have found a fantastic thrift shop in Atlanta that I just love! The Junior League of Atlanta’s Nearly New Shop located at 1715 Howell Mill Road, Atlanta, GA in the old Kroger Shopping Plaza. The Nearly New Shop sells tons of items that have never been worn or may have been worn or used once or twice. I have purchased brand new (tags still on) Club Monaco corduroy flat front pants for only $20.00. The original price was $99.00. I have also seen Ernest Sewn Jeans for only $8! These Jeans usually retail for $198.00! Still not convinced? How about a gently used Betsy Johnson Bag ($75), Ferragamo shoes never worn ($40.00) or Ralph Lauren Suits for $50.00. In addition, they sell high end sweaters, designer gowns, and tons of other accessories.
Also all proceeds from the Nearly New Shop support the mission of the Junior League of Atlanta. The League is dedicated to providing essential services to women and children in Atlanta. Shopping for a cause. Now I like that!
FYI. The Nearly New Shop is having a 50% off Mother’s Day Sale this Friday and Saturday, May 9th and 10th. The Sale starts at 10am. See you there!
Long time no hear!!!! Here is a quick update: I had a baby girl, Sydney, and she is gorgeous! So I have been very busy. However, during this time, I have found some GREAT products and awesome thrift stores and boutiques. Yeah! Keep reading the blog and enjoy!
RX for Brown Skin. Ladies I heart this new skin care line. Nationally renowed dermatologist and skin care expert, Dr. Susan Taylor created this skin care line for women of color (African-American, Latin, Indian, and Asian Women). RX for Brown Skin comes in three different skin care collections:
Bright and Healthy Collection for normal, dry or sensitive brown skin.
Bright and Clear Collection for acne prone, oily, combination or problem skin.
The Bright and Even Collection for dull, uneven, mature or hyperpigmented brown skin.
I personally have been using the Bright and Even Collection and my skin feels and looks awesome. I noticed results within 2-3 weeks. I started using this product in December and I am hooked! Dr. Taylor formulated the line with natural skincare remedies such as soy, pomegranate, and hyaluonic Acid, a substance found in human skin that locks in water.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, the price point is just fab! Cleansers are $21, toners are $18, and moisturizers are $32.
You can purchase these products online here or at Sephora stores or Sephora.com