Today I was thinking about little tricks I use to enhance my make-up and ultimately my look. My good friend Renee C. and Jackie H. are always admiring my make-up and this post is dedicated to them. Here are my top tricks of the trade:
1. A good eyelash curler. A must have for knock out lashes. Most mascaras are the same, except for a select few. (Conversation for another post). The trick to achieve long voluminous lashes is not necessarily in the brand of mascara you use, but in your lash accessories. Invest in a good eyelash curler. An eyelash curler gives your lashes a nice curl that usually lasts all day long. Eyelash curlers are particularly helpful if you have straight lashes that do not naturally curl up. The grand dame of all eyelash curlers is the Shu uemura curler. This curler’s claim to fame is that it accomodates all eye shapes. It retails for $18.00. Sephora also sells pretty good eyelash curlers with a price range of $5.00-$16.00.
2. An eyelash comb. To achieve perfectly separated lashes, you must use a good eyelash comb. I recommend Rubiglo eyelash comb. This flat brown eyelash comb is safe to use on the eyes because it is flat and made of plastic. I definitely do not recommend sharp metal eyelash combs. We don’t want to poke our eyes out. In addition, the Rubiglo eyelash comb comes with a protective covering which keeps the comb fairly clean. The best thing about this eyelash comb is that it retails for only $2.75. You can buy it at most major drugstores or online at www.rubiglo.com. You basically apply one coat of mascara and let the mascara dry. Then use the eyelash comb to separate eyelashes. Next apply another coat of mascara and let the mascara dry. Use the eyelash comb once more to ensure perfectly separated lashes. Apply one last coat of mascara. The effect is stunning.
3. Face Bronzer or Highlighter. To achieve glowing dewey looking skin all year round, (extremely important in the winter) check out Wet n’ Wild’s MegaGlo Face Illuminator. I learned about this amazing product from another blogger, Julia Coney. For the very low price of $2.99, you can achieve glowing skin like Hollywood Celebs. This bronzer is cream based and comes in five different shades. I use the shade Toasty which is picutured here. I simply use my fingers and blend the bronzer on my cheekbones usually above my blush (the apples of my cheek) on my brow bone and on my jaw line and chin. The highlights wake up your face and people will notice the glow.
4. Nars Blush in Exhibit A. I heard about this product and I did not believe it would work for me. I mean it does look like an orange red crayon. But I am telling you that this shade rocks on african-american skin. Trust. The orange color gives brown skin a naturally flushed glow, which is what blush is supposed to do. This is not blush from the 80’s. I kept hearing wonderful things about Nars Blush in Orgasm and tried it. It did not work for me. As a fluke I tried the Exhibit A and it was right on the money. Just try it. It works on the lightest tones to the absolute darkest tones. The Best Kept Secret Around. When I where this blush everyone says “Wow” Your make-up looks so good.
So there it is folks. My tricks of the trade. Email me if you have any tricks you use that you would like to share.
Okay. I have been discussing the possibility of starting a blog for 6 months now and I finally did it. I am so excited. And it was so easy to do. This Blog is dedicated to glamorous and luxurious fashion and beauty tips whether you are on a budget or not. Like most women, I love looking good. In fact, I love looking glamorous whether I am going to the grocery store or attending a charity ball. Looking good makes me feel good and feeling good puts me in a great mood which in turn puts people I encounter in a good mood. So positive energy all around. When you are feeling good, it boosts your self esteem and your confidence level rises. So this Blog will focus on achieving that feeling of supreme confidence and off the charts self esteem.
My first post will focus on Ten Things every woman should have to look and feel glamorous.
1. A signature Scent. Scents are such a huge part of feeling good. Great scents not only make you smell like a million dollars they also put you in a great mood. Every woman should have that one scent that she wears that makes her feel awesome. I wear a scent everyday. Whether its Chanel or Bath and Body Works, I always leave the house with a scent. My absolute favorite scent is Chanel, Coco Mademoiselle. I always get compliments. Just grown up and sexy. I also wear Clinique’s Happy. The citrus tones just make you “Happy.”
2. Well manicured eyebrows. Great eyebrows can make a face. A perfect arch adds dimension and depth to your eyes.
3. Good Mascara. Long luxurious lashes are always in. They make your eyes pop. Most days, perfect eyebrows, long lush lashes, and lip gloss is all I need. If you don’t believe me, just try it. lol
4. A good lip pencil and a great lip gloss. These items are your best friend. Mac’s Chesnut and Lip Varnish in Soft Tease take me from work, formal affair, workout, grocery store. Just perfect.
5. Regularly scheduled pedicures and manicures. Besides the fact that Men absolutely love them, they are such a necessity. Whenever I get a pedicure and manicure, I am automatically relaxed. Plus it shows that you take care of yourself.
6. A great pair of sterling silver or gold ball earrings or a pair of pearl of diamond studs. Regardless of your budget, you should be able to afford at least one pair of the above. If not, fake it until you make it. They are simple, elegent, and classy. Most importantly understated glamour. They complement ALL ATTIRE.
7. A great everyday, quality bag. If you don’t have the Louis Vuitton budget, you can always find a great name brand quality leather bag from discount stores such as TJ MAXX, Ross, or Marshalls. This Furla Bag is mult-functional and cute. They are always on sale at TJ MAXX or Marshalls. Target also has cute everyday bags.
8. Good Skin. There is no subsitute for Great Skin. A twice daily skin routine is sufficient for most women. However, if you have problem skin, try a dermatologist and or facialist to achieve a good skin tone.
9. Great Moisturizing Lotion. Never walk out the house with ash. Body Butters and Body Souffles are great if you want a scent. If not, good ol Eucerin, Vaseline Intensive Therapy, or plain Vaseline will do the trick. Vaseline is the best.
10. GREAT HAIR. All of my friends know that I am obsessed with my hair. Your hair can make you look good or make you look bad. Always maintain a well kept hair do. Make sure your hair is neat, shiny, and healthy. If you must pull it back, make sure it is in a cute little bun. A weave is acceptable to but make sure it matches your hair texture and color and that we (the public) can not tell that it is a weave.