I hope your week has been FANTABULOUS! A new word I created. lol! Well Divas as I stated in my previous post, Luxetips! was invited to cover an uber cool fashion event that took place right here in little ol’ Atlanta on Friday night. Divas it was so fantastic! The event was the Signature Style Swap and Sample Sale for Charity and it took place at Aiko Sushi Restaurant and Lounge. This place is just too chic. The Sushi was SUPERB! It was so fresh. Plus the place is just beautiful! Check it out at aikoatlanta.com. The event definitely had that New York I am so cool and chic vibe. Loved it! There were several designers/vendors there that have the coolest products and I have to share. So sit back and enjoy. And remember to support our independent designers! They are on the rise!!!!
1. Dawn Ramu. Dawn Ramu is a very talented fly diva who has just launched her own clothing line. The dresses are amazing. Very sexy but flirty too. Check out the picture of Dawn to the right modeling her own line. This very hip orange pleated chiffon dress was hand made by Dawn herself. I love the fact that it is a flowing mini dress, but not too short. Perfect. I simply adored the blue ruffled dress with the white ribbon belt. This is something I would definitely wear on a “hot” date with my hubby. The material of this dress is jersey and it felt so nice against my skin.
2. Check out Kimberly of POSHGLAM, LLC. PoshGlam is a full service public relations company that caters to the fashion and beauty industries. Kimberly represents Dawn Ramu and just look at this very sleek and cool “little black dress” designed by Dawn Ramu. Just fab!
Divas please check out Dawn’s designs at www.dawnramu.com or you can visit Veruca Boutique on Juniper to purchase her dresses. Dawn’s pricepoint ranges from $80.00 to $349.00.
3. Our favorite up and coming designer Alicia Garcia of Pekuliar Treasures was there also. Check out these fly tanks! I want to buy all of them. These tanks tops can go from casual to evening with the change of a pair of flips flops into a pair of stilettos. The tanks featured here are $32.00. Not bad for versatility.
4. Soleil Candle Company. Right now I am totally obsessed with Soleil Candle Company. These candles are just too fantastic! All Soleil candles are hand poured soy candles. So essentially they are biodegradable and environmentally friendly. But the absolute best part about these candles are that they smell sooooo good and the scent just lingers and lasts forever. Some of the candles’ scents are Passion Fruit, Cocunut Lemongrass, and Vanilla Grapefruit. I purchased the Vanilla Grapefruit candle and it is by far the best smelling candle I have ever purchased and the scent is just strong enough. My house has this clean citrus warm scent and I am loving it! A 6 ounce candle retails for $12 and an 8 ounce candle retails for $14. In addition, the candles last a long time. You can purchase Soleil Candles at Harry’s Food Market in Marietta; Ruby Jeans Boutique in Smyrna; and Siggers Hairdressers.
5. Twinkle Swimwear. Twinkle is a new swimwear line created by Twinkle Ferraren. Twinkle is an international designer who hand paints her designs for her swimwear collection and has them transferred onto the fabric. So you can have a cool bikini that is also a work of art. How cool is that?? Twinkle’s swimwear has been featured in several national magazines and publications. Her designs are not carried by any particular vendor here in Atlanta YET, but if you are interested in purchasing one of her swimsuits, please visit her website at www.t-w-i-n-k-l-e.com or you can contact PoshGlam for additional purchase information.
Luxetips! has been invited to cover the Signature Style Swap and Sample Sale for Charity hosted By Dawn Ramu. This event takes place tonight at 7:30 pm at Aiko Lounge. This event is just so fantastic! All Divas are invited to bring 3-5 gently used clothing items you no longer want or wear and swap them for something equally fantastic and of equal value! What a concept! In addition, several boutiques and designers will be there to sale their items. They are Pekuliar Treasures, Dawn Ramu, Tracey Nicole and more. Check out the flier to the right. Admission is only $10.00 and a portion of the proceeds go to Charity! Wow! I would love to see you Divas there!
I hope your week has been a blast! I went to the most fantastic event Tuesday night that I just must share. A new hot designer invited me to an independent designer trunk show at Vino Libro. Vino Libro is located in the new Glenwood Park community in East Atlanta and is just so fantastic. But I will save my fascination with Vino Libro and the owner Melanie Wilson for another post. Back to the hot new designer. Alicia Garcia, designer and owner of Pekuliar Treasures, designs one of kind pieces that are beautiful, feminine, and comfortable. Alicia takes vintage pieces and deconstructs them or reconstructs them into one of a kind fantastic pieces. Check out this orange blouse modeled here by designer and organizer of the indepedent artist trunk show, Brenda Hall of Bee So Chic. Apparently this blouse was once part of a dress in which Alicia actually designed two unique blouses. I purchased the other top, which is equally awesome as this one, but is its own unique style!
In addition, Alicia designs funky practical tank tops that any woman can wear. Alicia stated that she designs these tank tops with the woman on the go in mind. This woman is a mom, wife, professional, handywoman, etc.!! They are easy to wear, comfortable and most importantly pretty! Check out model Brenda in this black and white tank. Too cute! Plus Alicia said that you can actually remove the lace bow on this shirt and throw it in the washer machine. How clever!
Alicia, pictured here in one of her gorgeous tanks is EVERY WOMAN! Not only is she a designer and a fabulous MOCHA MOM of two, she is also a professional chef and event planner. Whew! You go girl! And the ABSOLUTE best thing about Alicia’s designs are the price. All one of a kind tanks range from $18-$30; blouses are $35 (can you imagine just look at that orange blouse!) and dresses are $60.00. So you can have a one of a kind designer item for a tiny fraction of the cost you would pay in a boutique. Fabulous!
Please check out Alicia’s website at www.pekuliartreasures.com. Lets support our new and upcoming designers!
I hope your Fourth of July holiday was awesome! Mine was so peaceful. I just relaxed. I did not do one thing. It was great! Over the holiday, my beautiful baby sister asked me “how do you keep your eyeshadow from creasing or fading away before the day ends?” And of course I had the perfect answer! Creasing or fading eyeshadow is a common problem for women who wear eyeshadow. Of course from my experience, there are a select few eyeshadows that simply do not crease or fade. They are Nars and Mac brand eyeshadows. The colors in both of these lines are very rich and both boast long wearing crease resistant formulas. And I must say that they do live up to the promise! Other than that, there are tons of great eyeshadows that will stay, stay, stay with just a little help. Here are my top two suggestions to increase the wear of your eyeshadow:
1. Base your lids with foundation. I simply sweep my eyelids with a powder foundation and then apply eyeshadow. This method works with most eyeshadows. However, if this does not work, try using a cream based foundation and then apply a little powder foundation. Apply eyeshadow and your eyeshadow will definitely last all day and/or night!
2. Apply an eye moisturizer/eye cream. This is another simple way to ensure your eyeshadow has staying power! I recommend that all Divas use eye cream as opposed to regular moisturizer around the eye area because the area around the eye is more sensitive and delicate than your face. Eye creams are specially formulated to deal with this sensitive area. Moisturizer is an excellent base for any type of make-up. Dry skin just does not allow make-up to properly adhere to the skin. I personally like Oil of Olay’s Age Defying Eye Gel. It is a non-greasy gel that also reduces fine lines and wrinkles. This product retails for $9.99. I simply love Kiehl’s Light Nourishing eye cream. It is light and non-greasy and perfectly moisturizes the eye area. You can purchase this product for $20.00. Lastly, for those of you who have sensitive eyes or wear contacts, Kiehl’s also carries Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado. This product is Ophthalmologist and Dermatologist-Tested. This eye cream is very creamy. It is simply luxurious!
Until next time!
p.s. I just want to give a shout out to the Beautiful Divas of Mocha Moms! Thanks for your support!
Ladies today is the official start of summer! Yeah! I like summer. I would rather be hot than cold anyday. So I know all of you ladies are breaking out your fabulous sandles or buying new sandles. Thus your “feet” must look flawless. One thing I can not stand is a lady wearing sandles with rough crunchy feet. It is just not necessary. Personally, I love getting pedicures. It is a source of relaxtion for me. But if pedicures are not in your budget, you can always give yourself a pedicure. It is very easy! Simply soak your feet in warm soapy water; slough off dead skin with a pumice stone or if you are BRAVE a pedicure razor; push back and remove cuticles; and clip and file toenails. Here is a cool tip. When I give myself a pedicure, I like to go the extra mile and apply a good scrub to my entire foot and exfoliate with a loofah sponge. It removes dead skin and gives your feet that freshly scrubbed glow! Apply a good body butter or soufle and you have summer ready feet! Fabulous!
During summer there are a few nail colors that I just love. Check them out and let me know what are your favorites.
Until next time,
1. French Pedicures. I love the classic clean look of a French pedicure. A french pedicure is timeless and elegant. I personally like to use an off white base coat with the french manicure. Very chic!
2. Essie Wicked. I know it is a dark color, but I tell you this color looks good on anybody. I love it! When I wear Essie’s Wicked on my toes or nails I just feel so va va voom sexy. Old Hollywood Glamour! My hubby loves it! You can purchase this product for $7.00.
3. OPI’s Coney Island Cotton Candy. This very sheer pink color is great for summer. The color is sheer enough that you can wear it to work but also cute enough to wear out to play! This product retails for $6.75.
4. Natural. There is something so Bohemian about wearing toes in the “buff”. Hey, summer is about letting go and having fun! This is the perfect summer look. However make sure your toes are not disclored and neat!
Summer in the south is no joke. You can cut the humidity with a knife! Because of the humidity, multiple showers are sometimes necessary. Like most fly divas, I love to stay fresh and smell yummy. So I must profess my obsession with Body Washes. I love Body Washes because 1. They smell good 2. Most leave your skin feeling silky smooth and do not dry out your skin like soap and 3. There are so many different Body Washes! Now I have a wide range of Body Washes that I am crazy about, but here are my top four based on quality and budget! Enjoy!
1. Philosophy’s 3-in-1 ultra shampoo, shower gel, and bubble bath in Lemonade. I love Philosophy products. They are super rich and so moisturizing. Philosophy’s 3-in-1 combos are like a little slice of heaven! They leave your skin so soft and they smell fantastic. This lemonade scent is just so perfect for summer! This product retails for $16.00 per bottle.
2. Bath and Body Works’ Shower Gels. An old favorite. I have been using Bath and Body Works’ products for years and I just can’t complain about their products. I love the Sunripend Raspberry scent! Right now Bath and Body Works is having their semi-annual sale and select Shower Gels and Body Washes are selling for only $4.00! I visited the Bath and Body Works Atlantic Station Store and racked up on Shower Gels, Body Lotions and Antibacterial Soaps. So ladies run to Bath and Body Works while the sale is still going or you can purchase the products online.
3. Healing Garden Organic Body Washes. Healing Garden is a super inexpensive quality brand of body products that you can purchase at your local drugstore, Target, and Wal-Mart. Recently, Healing Garden introduced an organic line that is pretty good. The products are 85% organic. I love the Fig and Lavendar body wash. The scent is strong and the products are pretty much all natural. The body wash retails for $7.99. Check it out here.
4. Suave Naturals Body Washes. For the low price of $2.99, you can purchase a fantastic Body Wash with this brand. Right now I am using the Ocean Breeze scent that is also infused with mineral-rich sea algae extract. Pretty impressive for three bucks. Suave Naturals is moisturizing, has a great scent, and is a great buy! Right now CVS, (boy I love CVS!) is running a promotion where you can purchase two bottles for $3.00. That is $1.50 per bottle ladies!
I hope your life is great! I have discovered a new scent and it is just perfect for summer. The scent is Blue by Ralph Lauren. My girlfriend Nikiis was wearing this scent when she came to visit last weekend. She smelled so wonderful. Ralph Lauren Blue for Women is a very clean light floral scent with just a hint of the ocean. Just Fabulous. When she left my house, she left her scent and my husband and I just kept admiring it. Our house smelled fantastic! So of course I had to have it! And for all of you Divas on a budget I found a 2.5 oz. bottle of Ralph Lauren Blue for $27.99 at CVS! By the way, CVS sells a lot of high end department store brand perfumes at a significant discount. Plus if you have a CVS card (a discount card) you can sometimes catch these perfumes on sale at a deeper discount. Ladies you will love this scent. Next time you are at a perfume counter or better yet Sephora, sample Blue. I guarantee you will buy it.
I hope your week has been fabulous. I think we can finally say that summer is here. It was 91 degrees today. Whew! But I have just the right products to look great and combat this summer heat. Here are a few products that I am loving right now:
1. Wet n’ Wild’s Ultimate Expressions Eyeshadow Palette in Sand Castle. Ladies this eyeshadow palette is fantastic! Not only is it inexpensive, ($4.99) the colors are just right for beautiful natural looking eyes with a little bit of shimmer. This is just what the doctor ordered for the Summer. I have talked about Wet n’ Wild products in previous posts. Wet n’ Wild is a super inexpensive brand of make-up that you can find in your local drugstore. I have been using their products since high school! The colors are great and the quality is good. I figure if well knowned make-up artists use Wet n’ Wild, why shouldn’t I!
2. The Body Shop’s Body Scrubs and Body Butters. These products are excellent. I have tried other body butters and scrubs but they do not measure up to The Body Shop’s products. I specifically use these products when I am going on a beach vacation. Before I hit the beach, I use the moisture rich Cocoa Butter Scrub to exfoiliate. The exfoiliation is top notch, but it leaves your skin feeling silky smooth. I then apply suncreen and hang out on the beach. After a day on the beach and a good shower, I apply the Cocoa Butter Body Butter. It is super rich. I apply it all over and my skin just glows. In addition, the body butter makes my skin super soft. Great Product. As a note, you can use these product anyday you want glowing super soft skin!
3. Bath and Body Works Body Splash in Black Raspberry Vanilla. I am sure everyone uses a good body splash. I love Bath and Body Works because they have a variety of scents and the scent of their splashes last longer than other brands. This is the perfect product to combat summer heat. When I was a college student in Tallahassee, FL, my roommate and I, (Hi Cindy!) would put our Bath and Body Works body splashes in the refridgerator and spray it on our bodies to cool down. A much needed process considering Tallahassee can reach 107 degrees in the summer! To this day, I do the exact same thing to lower my body temperature and also smell good in the process. Even if you do not put the body splash in the fridge, the alcohol in the product will instantly cool you down after being in the Sun. I love the Black Raspberry Vanilla scent because it is fruity with a hint of vanilla. Yum. Try it!
Stay fly and cool Divas!
Well as promised, I am back with more fabulous tips. This post is dedicated to fashion. Oh how I like a great fashion find and of course a bargain. I have a rule, which is never buy anything full price. Absolute rule. So, I am always shopping at discount stores (TJ MAXX, Marshalls, Ross, Loehmann’s or outlets) or end of season sales at my favorite shops. And of course Target. However, my true true passion is searching thrift shops, consignments sales, and estate sales. Oooh how I love the hunt. I always find an awesome item when I go “thriffin” (as we say in Decatur). A few of the great items I have purchased thrifting are silk blouses, high end business suits, a beautiful wool pleated skirt, and an authentic safari style dress all ranging between $3 and $10. UNBELIEVABLE!! Sometimes, I just want to pinch myself. Ladies here are a few tips on how to find great items at thrift and consignment shops plus the name of my favorite thrifts! Enjoy!
1. Come Prepared. Mentally prepare yourself to spend hours looking through each and every piece of clothing for a particular item of clothing you are looking for. For example, if I am looking for a great vintage dress to pair with a great pair of shoes, I venture to the dress section and look through each and every dress that is available. Thus, one must have patience and preserverance when performing this task.
2. Don’t let sizes discourage you. Unless an item of clothing is clearly too small, don’t dismiss an item because it is not in your exact size. I have found that in older or vintage clothing the sizes are bigger than they are in today’s clothing. In addition, if a particular item is too big, remember you can always go to a tailor. The expense of a tailor is a good investment if you are purchasing an item for $5.
3. Don’t always look for high end labels. Of course finding an item by a high end designer on consignment or better yet at a thrift shop is a natural high. However, be open to lesser known designers. I have found some awesome items by lesser known designers that are great quality and very stylish.
4. My favorite thrift shops in Atlanta are the Value Village chain of thrift stores. Some stores in this chain are better than others, but I always find great items at the Value Village in East Atlanta on Moreland Avenue. It is like a hidden treasure. Also, please please check out Upscale Fashions, Inc. in Stockbridge, GA. Upscale Fashions is a consignment shop that features very high end designers. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I visit this store. They have Chanel suits, Hermes scarves, vintage designer gowns, and vintage high end bags (Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc.) I saw a very cute vintage rectangle shaped Louis Vuitton purse for $75.00! Wow! I know it is a bit of a trek but it is worth it!
Yikes! I just realized a whole month and a half has went by without me writing a Post! I do apologize Divas, but I have been so busy being a mom, wife, and career woman. I was so overwhelmed. Well I am back with more Luxe Tips!
First I want to profess my love affair with Iman Costmetics! Beautiful, beautiful lush colors and textures and the price is just right! Iman’s products are on the same level or better than most department store brands, i.e., Lancome, Estee Lauder, Mac, etc. You can purchase Iman Costmetics from Target and……..drum roll please……..Wal-Mart. I am loving it! As a matter of fact ladies, I used mostly Iman Cosmetics on my girlfriend Deslyn for her wedding. Yes, in addition to being so many other things, and a make-up shopaholic, I love doing my friends’ make-up. So check out the picture here. To get this Divalicious but natural look, use the following products!
Love Ya Divas!
p.s. Next time I do promise not to wait so long between posts!
1. As you see in the picture, Ms. Deslyn has flawless skin. To achieve this look, I used Black Opal Creme Stick Foundation in Hazlenut. I simply used a very good MAC cosmetics foundation brush to apply the foundation. Apply the foundation evenly with the brush and then blot with a tissue, (Kleenex) and Viola! A flawless, shine free complextion. Powder foundations need not apply.
2. Deslyn’s eyes were fierce! I used Cover Girl eyeshadow in Golden Sunrise as a eyeliner on the bottom and upper lid. Next I used Iman’s eyeshadow in GEM
on Deslyn’s entire lid. I also applied Iman eyeshadow in Sahara on Deslyn’s brow bone. Lastly, I applied a small amount of Lancome’s Defencil’s Mascara in Noir. I only had to use a small amount because Deslyn had fabulous faux lashes!
3. I applied MAC’s powder blush in Format on the apples of Deslyn’s cheeks. As you recall in a previous post, I raved about orange blush on women of color. It is so natural. It provides just the right amount of flush. Format is a peachy orange blush that gives just the right amount of flush and all natural glow. Deslyn was radiant!
4. Lips! On Deslyn’s lips I used MAC cosmetics! Who can beat MAC’s glosses and lip pencils? As a lip liner, I used MAC’s cremestick lip liner in Cushy. For the final touch, I applied MAC’s lip glass in Viva Glam V.
This combination allowed Deslyn to have a very natural slighly nude lip with a hint of color. Beautiful.