Fun Fridays! Get Ready for Summer from Transformational Guru and Celebrity Trainer Ellen Nalaboff
My message for today is love and let go. Life is short, so don’t hold grudges, make amends.
So Summer is fast approaching and it is time to get in shape to rock your bikini or one piece! Whoohoo! This time last year, I was in tip top shape because I was in the gym 4 days a week getting ready for Summer. Unfortunately, right now I am sluggish and sorely out of shape. I have exactly 6 weeks to get my body back in shape for the beach!
I can certainly achieve my goal if I take the advice of Transformational Guru Ellen Nalaboff. If you don’t know, Ellen Nalaboff is a cerified life coach and Pilates instructor to the Stars. She has a Fitness Studio that is a one-of-a-kind destination for total life wellness. Touted as a “transformation guru,” her complete approach to vitality challenges conventional quick-fix plans with an educated program developed with purpose. Ellen’s mission is to champion those who want to regain fitness and control over their lives. She does this by teaching men and women how to empower themselves through health and fitness. Her approach is comprehensive and motivating. She guides her clients to transform their eating and fitness patterns into an achievable and rewarding lifestyle and reach optimum health, vitality and results.
Luxetips had an opportunity to interview Ellen to get her fabulous tips to getting in shape and staying healthy. Here is what she had to say:
1. Ellen, summer is approaching in a couple of months and women are wanting to get prepared to rock some tank tops and skirts – What easy exercises would you recommend to start toning your guns and gams to strut around town? How often do you suggest a person starts a continuous exercise routine and for how long?
*Exercise 1- Squat with a shoulder press . Stand with feet hip distance apart, feet parallel. Holding 8 to 10 pound dumbbells at shoulder height in each hand. Squat down as if you were sitting in a chair weight in heels chest lifted. As you stand back up press weights to the ceiling. Do 8 reps , 3 times.
*Exercise 2- Lunge with bicep curl. Stand with feet together holding 8 to 10 pound dumbbells in each hand, palms facing forward. Step forward with right leg as you lower front knee until thigh is parallel to floor at the same time curl the weights up in a bicep curl. Step back and repeat 8 times , do 3 sets.
*Exercise 3- Tricep dips. Place hands behind you on top of a chair or bench feet extended in front butt close to seat , fingers facing forward dip down until forearms are parallel to chair. Do 8 times 3 sets.
*Exercise 4- Pushups, either with feet extended long behind you or with knees bent and on the ground. lower yourself down to 1 inch from floor do 15.
Do this routine at least 3xs a week .
2. I see on your website that your studio, Ellen’s Fitness, is big on spinning, power pilates, and cardio kickboxing. Those 3 classes sound fun but challenging and burn a ton of calories! What advice would you give to a new studio member wanting to try new classes?
Come in with an open mind and try everything, Go slow and don’t push yourself pass your comfort zone – you can do that later on when you feel more comfortable with the class. Ask for help and most important have fun!!!!!!!
3. When you workout, do you stretch: before your workout or after your workout?
We always stretch after when the body is warmed up.
4. I see that you are a holistic nutritionist! What instant changes should a person make in cleaning up their diet?
To clean up your diet start eliminating processed foods, white flour which is found in most bakery goods and pastas. Reduce your intake of sugar. Eats lots of whole foods such as vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, and lots of water.
5. For people who have a sweet tooth or adore salty snacks – what are some great substitutions to cut calories but still satisfy that craving?
For a sweet tooth try a bowl of fresh berries with a little bit of whip cream. Or a piece of dark chocolate which is 70% or more of Cacao . For the people who love salty try making some popcorn and add a little bit of sea salt. Or how about some Kale chips with sea salt.
6. What foods do you stress to your clients that are must haves to keep in your pantry or refridgerator?
Foods that are a must have in you kitchen are leafy green vegetables,lots of cut up raw veggies, flax seeds, walnuts and almonds, coconut water, lots of berries, apples, eggs, rolled oats, and an assortment of canned or raw beans.
7. How important is meditation to you and what is a good way to get started at home?
Meditation is a huge part of my life and I think it is what keeps me content and at peace. For any one wanting to get started I recommend purchasing a guided meditation. There are many different types and lengths of times. I recommend one that is 30 minutes. Pick a time of day that is easiest for you find some quiet time and try to be consistent with that time every day. I find early mornings the best. After you have done the guided meditation for a period of time say a month, I would then recommend a mantra meditation one where you would use your Primordial Sound.
8. You are 1 of 500 people in the US that is certified by the Chopra Center for Primordial Sound Meditation. How would you describe that to our Luxetips readers?
It is a great honor to be able to teach Primordial Sound Meditation . It is a very ancient practice that has been around for thousands of years. It is a tool for rediscovering the body’s own inner intelligence. Primordial Sound Meditation uses individually selected sounds of nature called mantras to disconnect us from the activity of life. These primordial sounds are based on the vibration the universe was creating at the moment of your birth
9. Do you have any upcoming events at your studio you would like to tell us about?
We are doing a fund raiser called Spin for the Cure, all the proceeds will go directly to Breast Cancer research. The ride is 4 hours and you can get a team together and ride for any where from 1 hour or 1/2 an hour. Its going to be a really fun event with lots of local venders joining in to help this make it an amazing day!!!! If you are interested in riding please call the studio at 516-396-4521.