Luxetips Travel! 9 THINGS TO DO IN MYKONOS, GREECE
Know your worth and don’t accept anything less!
You Divas know how much I love Greece! I have been there twice and can’t wait to get back again! Love it!
One of the most beautiful islands in Greece is Myknonos. It is a must destination and here are 9 fabulous things to do once you get to this beautiful location.
Imagine aqua blue waters lapping gently against white sandy beaches. Imagine a tropical drink in your hand, toes in the sand and live music tempting you to dance. Welcome to Mykonos, Greece.
Named after the grandson of Apollo, Mykonos is in the middle of the Cyclades. In Greek mythology, the island was formed from the bodies of giants killed by Hercules. Mykonos is a favourite vacation spot for everyone from the rich and famous to the family-oriented since there is something to do no matter what your interests.
Whether you’ve already bought your ticket or are just beginning to plan, here are 9 fun things to do in Mykonos, Greece.
1) Familiarise yourself with the history and culture of Greece by visiting the Archaeological, Folklore or Maritime Museums. If you prefer art instead of archaeology, then try the Rarity Art Gallery. Both residents and tourists give it rave reviews for its accessible art pieces.
2) Visit the town of Alefkantra, or “Little Venice,” to see the beautiful mansions that make up the neighbourhood. Many of the historic homes have been turned into restaurants and shops so you can enjoy the buildings from the inside out. As you walk along the streets looking at the houses you can also see the windmills on the hillside above the town. If you want a closer look you can hike up to them or take a bus.
3) Stroll down the elegant Matoyanni Street in the middle of Hora, the island’s main town. You can do some window-shopping, pick out a few gifts and then stop at a café, all while people watching to see if someone famous walks past you. This is the premier spot to shop.
4) In the town of Ano Mera is Panagia Tourliani, a historic monastery from the sixteenth century. It has beautiful woodcarvings and a marble bell tower. It is only open by appointment so you must plan your visit in advance. While others may tell you about Panayia Paraportiani, visiting Panagia Tourliani makes for a unique vacation memory.
5) Prefer an activity with more excitement that will get your blood pumping? Try a water sport. With constant winds, Mykonos is great for windsurfing. If you’re new to the sport, there are lessons offered at any number of beaches. There are also a variety of surf spots and diving opportunities on the island.
6) There is no shortage of quality restaurants and enjoying regional cuisine is easy. You will probably see kopanisti, a peppery soft cheese, on the menu. Ordering the cheese is a delicious way to enjoy the culture of Mykonos, since it is one of the island’s trademark foods.
7) After a large meal, you’ll probably want to take a nap on a quiet beach somewhere. If that’s your goal, then try the northern coast of the island. With Ayia Anna, Houlakia, Kapari, Agrari, and Ayios Stefanos beach to choose from, you’ll be sure to find one you like.
8) Take a short day trip to the ancient, sacred island of Delos. A quick boat trip will take you to the deserted island. It has fantastic archaeological features and according to mythology, it is the birthplace of Apollo and Artemis. And if you have the time there is a hike that will give you a breath-taking view of the island.
9) The sun may set but the day is not done because you are ready to experience the famous nightlife on the island. Dancing on the beach after having dinner and drinks is especially fun in Paraga on the southern tip of Mykonos. There are a number of restaurants with bars on the beach and live music at night.
If you’re heading to the island, make sure you tick off just a few of the above activities. You won’t regret it!